Thursday, November 6, 2008

Curious... Am I the only one?

First of all--I plan on supporting the leaders of our country as much as possible, and I do not mean to disrespect any of them. . . don't read this as mean or petty. . . just interesting marketing :D.

So, until after President-elect Obama earned his official title from the majority of the country, I didn't really consider his race (as in the color of his skin, not his campaign) to be a big deal. He didn't even seem (*ahem) "black" to me. Totally cool that our nation has come so far. It would be even awesomer if we didn't have to keep track of what race, gender, religion did things first. Ex. Are we going to be excited when we elect the first redhead with green eyes and an amputated leg? (Hope that doesn't sound offensive. . . I just hope one day we won't need to be excited about the color of someone's skin--I know I am very excited about the skin color of our President-elect right now, and that also makes me kind of sad).

I seriously wasn't excited until he was elected. Like I said, before I hardly noticed he was black.
So. . . I started noticing something about his campaign today. . . maybe THAT'S why I didn't realize it. . . lol




I think the one that says "change" looks a little bit like Robert
(guess I'm attratcted to powerful looking men :D).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm proud to have a daughter that looks at the heart and not at the color of one's skin. Although I voted for McCain, I too felt the excitement of having our first black--half black--president-elect.

Anonymous said...

First of all, the kids' pictures are great! Enoch looks so old with his hair all combed with his little jacket. Second, I think he looks "black" even without color - maybe thats just because I always knew. Maybe thats because Oprah wouldn't let me forget. I think lots of people voted for Obama because of other reasons. But I do think there were some who voted for him just because he is "black". No body really mentions he's "white" too. I do think it must have been a tricky campain. Playing it up to some and making it a non-issue to others...I for one am excited and anxious to see what changes will come about.

Anonymous said...

Emily, completely agree... you said it better than I did. "It must have been a tricky campaign." (Although, I must've been in the non-issue marketed group; because it didn't entirely dawn on me how important his race was until after he won :). I was just interested in this one way that they approached the trickiness. Thought it was interesting.

Oh, and I didn't mean to imply that the majority voted just because he's "black". Maybe if it had been a close vote I would wonder a little... but he definitely IS the people's choice, and we all have to admit that that takes a lot more than race, gender, religion, etc.

Anonymous said...

I don't really know what I was rambling about earlier. I proably should have just added a post to my blog with my ramblings. Your post just got me thinking. I almost came back and cleared my comment. I think its great that you didn't see "race" as an issue. You are GREAT! We should do dinner next week.

Anonymous said...

I think both of your comments were valid and non-offensive. And thats coming from me- an Obama Mama.

I too didn't really take into consideration that he was black. It's awesome isn't it?

Can I come to dinner? Is it weird that I invited myself? Yes. It is.

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel any better, I just figured he was a 'mixed breed'....thats what Americans are these days...part of this, part of that with a dash and a sprinkle of something else. I just figured he was a mut...like the rest of us. There, maybe THAT was offensive! ;-) lol. But seriously, I just figured he was a mix...and he is.

Although, he was obviously the peoples choice, and not by just a few votes...I can't help but be concerned at how easily our society is swayed by a few pretty words. Its scary for me. And its even scarier to think some may have (and probably did) vote for him BECAUSE of his race...oh so sad. I think they should just put paper bags over their heads, and lie detectors in tow, until its all done. Then, maybe we'd get down to the issues...and some clarity on how to lead this country. OKay, i gotta step off my soapbox man...anyhow...great post. ;-)