Thursday, November 20, 2008

Yup, Shoppin'

I don't like spending money. No, really. You don't believe me? Please stop laughing. Okay, I'm not "buying" it either. (Or actually, maybe I am. . . I've been buying A LOT of things lately.)

I am way excited for Christmas. I actually have a wishlist this year. I don't think I've had a list since I was like 14--given that wasn't really that long ago :Djk. Most of the things on it are for the kiddos though (or at least I'm twisting it that way), so I don't feel as bad. Anyways. . . back to what I was going to say:

I think I have a problem. I keep imagining that we have money--and because of student loans, and assistance programs, we really do ummmm. . . "have" more than we ever did. Given, I don't pay full-price for much (if anything), but I pay so much when it's all added up!

Here is a list of only a few of the things we have bought since we moved here in July:
a house,
a car,
appx. 9 gallons of paint,
"Twilight"
a play kitchen,
a baby walker,
a tricycle,
crib sheets,
laminate flooring,
a dishwasher,
a couch,
a dresser,
a bed,
bedding,
a camera,
a trillion yards of cloth,
innumerable glass thingies,
3 lighting fixtures (and I want more),
a computer (for me, not Robert, sad. . . I know),
at least 6 clothing items I can remember,
2 presents for Robert,
2 new toys for the kids' presents (besides the tricycle we bought Nana for last Christmas--I don't think we've ever actually bought NEW toys for the kids--and why would we--they already have enough! BUT I WANT MORE!!!),
and oodles of makeup (which I'm actually pretty sure I'm allergic to--do you think I could get a refund?)
I should probably stop this list right now. . . I'm feeling pretty guilty.
I actually go shopping like once a week.

I KNOW! That doesn't even include online shopping!!!
I used to only shop like once a month--strictly for food. We had a 100$ a month food budget--not counting milk--and it was easier to keep to it if we only went shopping once a month. (Robert would pick up milk on his way home from school once every two weeks).

At least we bought everything used or on clearance (ex. the 9 gallons of paint probably came to 40$, and the furniture mostly came at only a little extra from the lady that sold us the house). . . Robert wouldn't let me get away with anything else, thank goodness. I guess one of Robert's presents, "Twilight", and the crib sheets weren't really on clearance or from a yardsale, but whatever, everything else was. . . and he wasn't there when I bought them ;P.

I guess what I'm saying is. . . how do I stop!? Help, please.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

CASH. Cash is the answer. Put you cash into envelopes based on how it is budgeted. When it is gone, it is gone.

Anonymous said...

if you get any suggestions let me know!
I have always been a shopper as you know and now that we will be house poor I think I need some help. 'I guess we need to budget everything.

Anonymous said...

um, my shopping only comes if I get a rebate in return, or I have play-money (extra care bucks) to pay for it. I do the $$ in this house, so I know how much I can go and squander...I just keep to things that can come back to me. Unless we really need it..then geezz...just go get it. Paul has joined the band-wagon....we don't get things unless we can use a coupon.....food, stuff, restaurants, golfing..etc. All have a coupon somewhere.

Sorry, I'm probably not much help either "hey AliMae...wanna go out shoppin' again..."...how many times have you heard that from me. Sorry, maybe I shouldn't tempt you anymore ;-)

Anonymous said...

Jolyne, I absolutely love you--your coupons are BY FAR one of the things that make me feel better :D. And I should try the cash thing too, Katherine.

Anonymous said...

You are good Ali Mae. Don't feel bad. If you want to ever feel better about yourself just call me. For example I went to the grocery store for milk and eggs and spent $40. Oh man, I need to learn how to budget....