Monday, December 1, 2008

Confession--and an extra dose of negativity

I hate telemarketers.

Really. I'm not sure if I'm going to the Celestial Kingdom because of it.

No, I do not want to support the firefighters/policemen/dying children. Can't you tell by the sound of my voice that I'm a heartless, horrible person that could care less if my meager 20 dollar donation could save the world--I'm keeping it for myself!

So why, I ask myself, do I agree to a "free gift" that's going to cost me 60 dollars after the "free gift" period is over (which happens to be 10 days). For a book about herbal remedies of all things! Excuse me, if I need a "remedy" I'll ask my husband to write me a prescription. (He'll be a doctor by the time I found the time to read the book, you see, which will definitely be longer than 10 days).

The "free gift" thing always gets me. No, I never actually want the "free gift," they just get me to say "Yes" so many times that it's hard for me to say "No" when I need to. Ugh. I think they also purposefully hire people with impossibly thick accents--I'm not incredibly sure why--but the ones with thicker accents seem to get me more often. The call today went something like this:

"These people are willing to send you a free thingy because they want to help your family--isn't that nice of them?"
"Sure"
"Would you be so kind to answer some questions for me?"
"I guess"
"Is this your address?"
"Yeah. . ."
"Is this your name?"
"Yes"
"Are you female?"
"Definitely"
"Do you try to be healthy?"
"Yeah"
"I'm going to record your confirmation: Do you want this thingy?"
"Uh. . . yeah. . . " (D'oh, I can't believe I just did that. Robert's going to be upset. What is wrong with me!)
"Have a nice day!"
"You, too." (I wish you didn't exist!)

I hate telemarketers.

Sorry, I'm really upset, and when I'm upset I blog. Probably should kick that habit. . . . but like I said, I might not get in to Heaven, so who cares.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alice you are so funny
I think 90% of the world feels the way you do. sorry about the stupid telemarketer who needs them?

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha! I hate telemarketers too! They always call and make you feel guilty.

Anonymous said...

Just return it and don't pay. And just hang up next time. Don't worry about it, it's not the worst thing

Anonymous said...

Dude, you must be pregnant! ;-)

I totally feel your pain. Yeah, Ameri-credit kept calling my cell phone (this was last week)...like seriously 5-7 times a day, for probably 5 days...leaving messages for 'Ray'...I called several times to say stop calling...and they're like 'can I have your account #'..I DON"T HAVE AN ACCOUNT NUMBER YOU IDIOT..'but he just called from this #..no, no he didn't'...yeah he did' ' do I sound like Ray?"......anyway, I started towards the end just haulin' off on them. Not very Christ like, huh? Evidently it worked, because no one called it today. Hey, sometimes its okay to be mean...the outcome was successful. ;-)

Anyhow...no more 'free' stuff for you...you stick with me missy! We'll show you was FREE is!

PS..I want to have you over, but we are all sick, and I can't smell very well, and I'm curious if my house smells like the interestingly nasty things I have accumulating in my laundry room...um, its been...uh..3 weeks since I've done laundry...and the last week we've had an exceptional amount of bodily fluids. Anyhow, Mr Fix it Man is supposed to be out tomorrow afternoon....he'd better show, or I'm going to have to start doing laundry by hand...won't that be a site!

Anonymous said...

you make me laugh. Dont feel bad, I did something similar last year.