Friday, January 30, 2009

Bummed. . .

Graduate school is hard. . . it should come with a *NOTICE* label or something. (One for the spouse, that is. . . ) I am in trouble. I need to finish an Independent study class by March--plan a last minute birthday party for Eenie for next week (Is it really that close? I have no idea who to invite; we've always just had family to our kids' parties)--deal with a bunch of rebate forms--I should use up my CVS ECB's, but I don't want to go out--figure out what is going on with Valentine's Day activities--there's no food in our house beyond ingredients that require imaginitive cooking (meaning I can't just eat cereal all day, because we have no milk). . .

I've also decided that when I go to help people I usually just come off as annoying. I remember once I was nursing Eenie (or was it Nana?) on the bathroom couch in BYU's HBLL and I noticed that there was a pair of feet under one of the stalls that never moved. I also heard sniffling. (I had been in the bathroom for over an hour--my kids take a really long time to nurse--especially when I'm using their little bodies as my writing desk.) I wanted to say something, but I left. I felt bad that I didn't say anything, so I went back about half an hour later--yup, still there. I tried to wait until the lady in the next stall left, but I was running late. So. . . I just spoke out and told the person that I had been on the couch for some time earlier and had noticed they had not moved, and wanted to know if they were okay. I am pretty much an idiot. Can you imagine what the person in the next stall must have thought? I hope she didn't think I was talking to her. . . 'Ma'am, I've noticed that you're taking a really long time, and I wanted to know if you were okay.' Of course, I never got an answer from either of them. For all I know, the lady that was in there for almost 2 hours (or more?) was just reading a really good book, and because of her cold (thus the sniffling) wanted to be near some tissues. It's one of the things I've done that haunts me every once in awhile--although I still can hope that I made someone feel a little more loved than they did before (if there was any room for any other emotion after all of the awkwardness).

Now my point--I KEEP DOING THIS! Someone will totally act like they need help (like with the sniffling), and I'll do my best to do something for them--sometimes it's hard, and sometimes I have fun doing it, but it pretty much always ends up getting me down (at least lately--and I've screwed up SO MUCH like this in the past week or so). I feel so awkward and awful and depressed that I do such silly things--ESPECIALLY when I was having fun doing them. It happens too often! I guess I'll keep "helping" people, but now you've been warned--you may feel really awkward when I do. . .

6 comments:

Rachel Avie said...

I totally know what you mean. But right now I am not even attempting to do any service...terrible right! I haven't done my visiting teaching in so long and the guilt is wracking me. But you know what, the fact that you are out there with an open and willing heart means so much, even more so than the results. Besides, I bet you don't even know just how much you are impacting those around you for the good. You need to give yourself and break and give yourself some credit for the incredible person that you are. If you ever doubt it, just look into those beautiful blue eyes of your sweet babies and see just how great your contribution to this world is. I love you!

Rachel Avie said...

BTW, internship is really, really hard too. Consider that your caution label! (And be sure and live close to us so we can be each other's support system!)

Louise said...

I think people have a hard time excepting kindness, sometimes, from perfect strangers. We don't want to trouble people, feel embarrassed, and we tell ourselves that we should be strong enough to get through whatever it is on our own. Bottom line- never stop offering acts of kindness because it's a strength more sisters in the church need to develop. If it doesn't strengthen the one in need, at least you practice courage. Ugh! I sound so cheesy. I just want to help someone who appears to need some comfort. I guess I'm kind of like you :)

Alice said...

Thanks, you both do make me feel better. . . especially the cheesy parts :D

Havalah Turner | Sisters, What! said...

you make me laugh. I just love that story of the lady in the bathroom. WE NEED TO GET TOGETHER!!! Lets make v-day cards together or something. Also if you plan on going to cvs anytime soon take me with you so I can understand how it works.

Brittney said...

Oh Ali Mae.. quit feeling silly. You're wonderful. The fact that you even care enough to possibly make a fool of yourself is incredible. I can't imagine that the person sniffling in the stall would feel anything but gratitude after your efforts. It's probably the same thing with any of these other acts you're feeling silly for. Saying something for someone else's benefit is always SO much better than not saying anything at all.

And sorry you have to go through the graduate school stuff with virtually no hubby. Good luck with that.